Drivers of Green Supply Chain
January 8, 2019
There are five type of environmental stakeholders group who drive green initiatives within an organization:
- Regulatory stakeholders, who either set regulations or have the ability to convince governments to set standards
- Consumers, who seek emotional resonance alongside the cost and convenience factors of where and when they buy a particular product
- Organizational stakeholders, who are directly related to an organization and can have a direct financial impact on the organization
- Community groups , environmental organizations and all those other potential lobbies, who can mobilize public opinion in favor of, or against, an organizations environmental policies
- Media, who have the ability to influence society’s perceptions
Based on the roles of each player in the supply chain there are different incentives to migrate towards Green Supply Chains and briefly these are as follows.
Factors that drive manufacturers towards Green Design and Green Production include:
- Corporate customer requirements
- Competitor standards
- Voluntary agreements
- Maximizing product understandings
Environmental drivers of suppliers include:
- Customers requirements
- Consumer organizations and NGO’s
Logistics providers are implementing Green practices due to government regulations and customer expectations and agreements
Source : Emmet & Sood – Green Supply Chains : An Action Manifesto. This book was awarded certificate as “The Most innovative Supply Chain book in the last decade (2000-2010)
Copyright - These concepts, frameworks and ideas are copyright of GLOBAL SUPPLY CHAIN GROUP from the time of their creation. Do NOT copy these without permission and proper attribution.
- These ideas and concepts will be usually expressed by our thought leaders in multiple forums - conferences, speeches, books, reports, workshops, webinars, videos and training. You may have heard us say the same thing before.
- The date shown above the article refers to the day when this article was updated. This blog post or article may have been written anytime prior to that date.
- All anecdotes are based on true stories to highlight the key points of the article - some details are changed to protect identification of the parties involved.
- You are encouraged to comment below - your real identity and email will not be revealed when your comment is displayed. Insightful comments will be featured, and will win a copy of one of our books. Please keep the comments relevant, decorous and respectful of everyone. All comments represent opinions of the commentators.
Our Quick Notes On Five Flows Of Supply Chain Management
Part of our new “Quick Notes” series – this report answers your most pertinent questions of the topic.
- What are the five flows of SCM?
- Why are they important TO YOU?
- How can you map, track, and optimise these flows to serve YOU?
- What is the importance of difference between "Supply Chain" and "Value Chain"?
- What are the stellar case studies of each of the five flows?